09 April, 2014

The Trials Of Initiation by Julian Colgan


Frantically running through a bleak and
seemingly unending tunnel
of resentful feelings,
none of what I have accomplished
in terms of spiritual development
is enough to pacify
the raging storm that is samsara.

Lost amidst the crashing waves
of social unrest and cultural dormancy,
it is as if no one can hear
the sorrowful cries of all sentient beings.

Undergoing the trials of initiation,
the masters of the buddha dharma
are hesitant to unleash what 
is profoundly wise to 
the profoundly ungrateful.

Witnessing all of my erroneous 
thoughts, emotions and actions
flashing as quickly 
as a thousand thunder bolts,
the only thought that keeps me on
track is the thought of sustained self improvement.

Pushing myself to the limits of existence,
compassion is the healing medicine
needed for all of my past mistakes.

Regressing to the point
of insignificant forms of consciousness,
I was a drop of water
from the Himalayan mountains
and a grain of sand
in the sea of endless confusions.

Eating worms as a bird
and animals while a human,
when will I stop consuming other
sentient beings in order to 
fuel my own minute energy levels.

Climbing out of these animalistic propensities,
one day the Buddha dharma will be mine.

Engaged in awakening others
from samsara's trance,
the sound of enlightenment
manages to soothe my troubled 
and tormented mind.

Ringing and vibrating like an avalanche,
my sense of reality crumbles
each time my lama
enunciates the words of the Buddha.

Emanating with the wisdom rays
of sky like liberation,
the intelligence of sincerity
is equal to the blossoming of
the mind of awakening.

by Julian Colgan (Copyright)
Awake to Buddhahood
http://emptinessofmind.blogspot.ca/